Pet Food Pantries in Maine
This winter many Maine folks are having difficulties feeding themselves and their families, including their pets. Animal shelters throughout the state report increases in the number of animals being surrendered and report that some animals are being surrendered because their owners cannot provide food for them. The problem isn’t limited to small companion animals, such as cats and dogs, but also affects those who are caring for large animals and livestock. The Maine State Society for the Protection of Animals, too, has received numerous requests to take in surrendered horses as a result of the poor economy and scarcity of affordable hay.
As a result of discussions between local and national animal welfare agencies, the Maine Farm Bureau, the Animal Welfare Program, human services agencies, and other interested people, a number of pet food pantries have been set up to assist people with providing for their animals. The following list of pet food pantries and pet food banks across the state should be printed and posted in any location where it may be used by those who need it. For additional information, you may want to visit
Maine Farm Bureau www.mainefarmbureau.com
Maine’s Department of Agriculture www.maine.gov/agriculture
- Lincoln County Animal Shelter in Edgecomb has started a pet food pantry in hopes of keeping pets with their families instead of being surrendered. FMI- Manager Betsy Pratt www.lcas.me or 207-882-9677. Hours: Monday thru Saturday 11am to 4pm.
- The towns of Sullivan and Sorrento have a new pet food pantry, the Sullivan Animal Food Eatery, thanks to their Animal Control Officer and animal loving Town Clerk. FMI: Town Office, 1888 Route 1, Sullivan and 207-422-6282
- MDI PET FOOD PANTRIES is located in Bar Harbor. So far people can pick up food at the Bar Harbor Food Pantry. They should call or go online for open dates and hours. FMI http://barharborfoodpantry.org/index.php or (207) 288-3375. Any other questions call the organizer, Diana de los Santos, at 461 2871 or 288-0404 at Bark Harbor. They can email also to email@example.com.
- Furry Friends Pet Pantry is available through the Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland and Camp Bow Wow in Portland. ARL is located at 449 Stroudwater Street in Westbrook, 207-854-9771 and Pantry hours are 1pm to 3pm on Wednesdays. Camp Bow Wow is located at 49 Blueberry Road in Portland, 207-541-9247 and Pantry hours are 1pm to 3pm on Mondays.
- Furry Friends Food Bank is available through the Eastern Area Agency on Aging in the Bangor area. This Food Bank focuses on the elderly and disabled adults. FMI call 207-941-2865 or online at http://www.eaaa.org/furryfriends.shtml.
- Houlton Humane Society is now operating a Pet Food Pantry at their 263 Callaghan Road location. Call 207-532-2862 for more information.
- Hollywood Pet Salon is a satellite location for the Houlton Humane Society Pantry. Located at 70 Main Street in Houlton or call FMI- 207-532-7387.
- Ludlow Food Pantry may also have pet food available on a limited basis- Call FMI (207) 538-6404. Located at 831 Ludlow Road in Ludlow.
- St Mary's Church may also have some pet food available. FMI call: (207) 532-9122. Located at 110 Military Street, Houlton.
- Catholic Charities of Maine occasionally has pet food and litter. Serves Food Pantries throughout Aroostook County. http://www.ccmaine.org/info.php?info_id=38 or Call to find out more: 1-800-781-8550
- Paws for a Cause in Fairfield has a pet pantry at the Victor Grange in Fairfield Center. Located at the junction of Rtes. 104 and 23 in Fairfield Center. Takes place on the first and third Friday of each month. FMI contact Del Pomerleau at 465-7906 or Sabrina Williamson at 249-9441
- York County Shelter people food pantry is expanding to include pet food to help low income folks feed their pets and not have to surrender them to animal shelters. Our people food pantry is open Monday through Friday 1-4, but people wanting pet food should call ahead as we are just starting to have pet food, and it may not always be available. York County Shelter Program’s food pantry is located on Shaker Hill, Alfred, Me. FYI please call 324-1137 and ask for Joan or 324-8811 and ask for Sandy
Contact your local Animal Shelter as they may have food that was donated to them, which they are not using. Also try your local human Food Pantry as they may get pet food donated on occasion, and if they know the need is out there, they may start soliciting for pet food donations.
- Here is a list of animal shelters in Maine: http://www.animalshelter.org/shelters/Maine.asp
- Here is a list of Food Pantries in Maine- Just click on your county!: http://www.maine.gov/agriculture/co/tefap/countysearch.html
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank: Large scale food pantry, located in Auburn and Brewer, which distributes throughout the state. FMI http://gsfb.org/ or call (207) 782-3554
Thank you to all those who have contributed to making and maintaining this list. Thank you, in advance, to all those who may be able to donate to the pet food pantry in their area. If you are aware of a pet food pantry that is operating and is not on the list above, please contact us at www.msspa.org and give us the information. We will update the list as additional information is provided.
Thank you, too, for helping keep Maine animals well fed and in their homes.