Frequently Asked Questions
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
- Due to the nature of the horses on our farm who have been abused and neglected, the MSSPA has strict age restrictions:
- You must be 16 to volunteer without an adult
- Volunteers under 16 are required to have a waiver signed by their legal guardian
- Volunteers under 16 must be accompanied by an adult co-volunteer at all times
What is required before I can volunteer?
- The MSSPA has a volunteer application process which includes:
- A formal written or online application
- Application review
- Reference check
- Meet and greet at the farm to discuss the work at hand and attend a volunteer orientation session
Do you have to have horse experience?
- No experience is required to volunteer at MSSPA. As part of the orientation process, you will receive any necessary training.
Can you ride the horses?
- MSSPA does not offer volunteer riding opportunities. Most of our horses are very green, and many of them have physical or emotional scars from their neglect. The Society employs professional training staff to provide careful, consistent training to restore the horses to their best potential.
Do you require a certain amount of hours to volunteer?
- MSSPA does not require volunteers to commit to a set schedule. Some of our volunteers come in weekly, while others may come in once a month.
Can I volunteer on weekends or in the evenings?
- The MSSPA is open every day from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. during the summer – including weekends and holidays. All volunteer service can take place between these hours, starting as early as 8:30 a.m. and going to as late as 3:30 or 5:30 p.m.
Can I earn Student Service Learning (SSL) hours or community service hours by volunteering at MSSPA?
- Yes! If you need to complete volunteer hours for your school or as part of your court-mandated community service, the MSSPA encourages you to submit a volunteer application.
Can I bring a corporate, business, or other large group for a volunteer day?
- Yes; if your large group is interested in volunteering on a project together (for instance, corporate group, Girl/Boy Scouts, college or high school group, church group, etc.). Contact volunteer coordinator, Robert Sheckler, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Have more questions?
Please email us at email@example.com or call (207) 892-3040, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.