*** Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the MSSPA. At this time, we are not accepting new individual volunteer applications. We anticipate that with better weather, additional volunteer opportunities will become available! Please check back for updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding as the MSSPA works to provide the best care for the rescued horses. ***
Please note that if you are under 16 years old, a parent/guardian will need to volunteer alongside you at the shelter.
Is your group interested in volunteering? Take a look at Group Volunteering to learn more.
These opportunities are not currently available but may be in the future. Please check back to see when new opportunities become available.
- Washing Feed Buckets – Any morning, except for Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as limited available shifts on Wednesdays and Sundays. Mornings are best, but flexible.
- Scraping/Painting – Fences, barns, sheds, etc.
- Treasure’s Tack Shack – Welcome shoppers in the MSSPA’s volunteer-run tack shack. Answer questions about tack, accept donations, prepare items for display. Tack Shack is open Wednesdays and Saturdays, 10 am – 12 pm, however, behind-the-scenes prep can happen other days/times.
- Picking Paddocks – Must have horse experience and feel comfortable using a heavy wheelbarrow to move manure. **Minimum age and skill level requirement.
- Cleaning Barns – Scrubbing stall doors/walls
- Cleaning Building – Washing windows, dusting, sweeping, filling toilet paper/paper towel holders, taking out trash, etc.
- Arena Maintenance – Raking down sides, dusting off kick walls, dusting metal piping, window washing, etc.
- Carpentry – Checking/repairing fences, replacing nails with uniform hardware, shed repairs
- Mucking stalls – Mornings between 9:00 -11:00 am
- Grounds maintenance – Mowing and weed whacking
- Tour Guide – Be an MSSPA ambassador on the farm! Welcome visitors, give farm tours, answer questions, Tues, Wed, Sat 11:30 am – 2:30 pm.
- Grounds Maintenance – Weeding, occasional gardening, thistle removal, and raking hay.