Frequently Asked Questions
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
- MSSPA has the following age requirements:
- Volunteers under 18 are required to have a waiver signed by their legal guardian
- Volunteers under 16 must be accompanied by an adult co-volunteer at all times
What is required before I can volunteer?
- The MSSPA has a volunteer application and training process that includes an online application form and a volunteer orientation. The first step toward becoming a volunteer is to fill out the application. Once your application is submitted, an MSSPA staff member will contact you to discuss your interest in volunteering and provide additional information about the on-boarding process.
Do you have to have horse experience?
- No experience is required to volunteer at MSSPA. As part of the orientation process, you will receive any necessary training.
Can you ride the horses?
- MSSPA does not offer volunteer riding opportunities or riding lessons. The Society’s staff members and professional trainers provide careful, consistent training to restore the horses to their best potential.
Do you require a certain amount of hours to volunteer?
- MSSPA does not require a set time commitment or frequency for most volunteer activities. Some volunteers come more than once each week and others volunteer monthly. MSSPA does ask volunteers to commit to their scheduled shifts in advance so that we can better plan the work required to care for the rescued horses.
Can I volunteer on weekends or in the evenings?
- MSSPA staff are on-site every day, including weekends and holidays. Volunteer shifts are scheduled in the morning 9AM-11AM and in the afternoon 1PM-3PM.
Can I earn Student Service Learning (SSL) hours or community service hours by volunteering at MSSPA?
- Yes! If you need to complete volunteer hours for your school or as part of your court-mandated community service, the MSSPA encourages you to submit a volunteer application.
Can I bring a corporate, business, or other large group for a volunteer day?
- Yes; if your large group is interested in volunteering on a project together (for instance, corporate group, Girl/Boy Scouts, college or high school group, church group, etc). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, group volunteer opportunities are limited. Please email [email protected] or call the shelter at (207) 892-3040 to discuss your interest in bringing a group to the shelter.
Have more questions?
Please email us at [email protected] or call (207) 892-3040, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.